Thursday, April 23, 2009

Does it matter if you're in or out?


When we discussed the way we can use the Psalms to discover different aspects of religion than those presented in texts like the Bible (and essentially the analogy to pop songs vs. the constitution), I connected it with the song we watched in class--the adaptation of the Psalm in Christian rock form--and it got me thinking. When I was in high school I played in a rock band. The bass player's dad was a pasture at a church and he let us use a room upstairs for rehearsal space (hence our name The Upstares). Other than the bass player none of the other guys in our group went to that church or were even religious. Because we played there so much we eventually got invited to jam with the church rock band that played on Sunday nights for a youth worship gathering called "Xtreme" (there was a second word that I can't remember). For the service only Christian songs were played. I remember while I was playing there I always felt a little weird that I didn't believe in God and yet I was standing there singing backup vocals about Jesus and soloing over tunes about God. After our discussions in this class I've come to think of this music experience as a symbol of this church and Christianity in general. In thinking through that lens, I wonder if its at all problematic that I was part of a symbol that I myself didn't believe in and normally wouldn't stand for. Does my playing for a Christian assembly as a non-Christian de-stabilize or corrupt the power of that symbol? I suppose if know one else knew it would only matter to me but if it were public that I didn't believe in God I wonder how the audience would have perceived it.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like, to a Christian, they would be offended, but maybe some would also be happy? A lot of the Christians I have met like to share their community and worship with others in the hope they will join. I have definitely been in the same situation before. One of my friends said he took communion once just so he wouldn't make the catholic church he was playing at angry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel that you would probably get mixed emotions on singing Christian songs when you didn't believe in it, with your band. For one part, music can be seen as a ritual. If you were taking part of their ritual without believing what they do, they might be slightly offended. However, on the other hand, some might think of this as a positive thing. By singing, you are unconsciously learning about their religion and beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i actually had a similar experience to yours: since coming to college, i've basically rejected organized religion and the idea of a god, but being a musician, there's no escaping religion. i was on a choir tour a few years ago and we had to sing for a church service (in exchange for their concert space). after sitting through the service and listening to people reaffirm their beliefs, i found that i couldn't sing because i felt like i was lying. in music history, we explored the idea that setting words to music make them more powerful as far as conveying a person's religious beliefs, and so i felt that if i sang these songs, i would be insulting people who actually believed the words. so instead, i lip-synced our songs. but what was the "greater sin?" not singing because i didn't believe in the words, or not singing and possibly letting my section down?

    now i'm on slightly friendlier terms with religion in music. religious influence is everywhere in music and i can't just stop singing. but every time a person performs a piece, they have to find something in it that they can relate to, otherwise what's the point? instead of getting hung up because i don't agree with what a religion's saying, i try to think more of why the composer was influenced by it and perform the piece more from that angle rather than thinking that i'm a blasphemer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you've taken a music history class, written music was established by monks. Religion provides us today with many publications and music scores from when most music was passed through oral tradition. So I think that because you aren't religious, but played in a sacred space doesn't mean that you are committing blasphemy. They're just pleased that you're playing God's music ... which has a long history with the church. (They might have also been hoping that you'd be converted through their music).

    ReplyDelete